April 28th, 2019 Update
Beginning Sunday, May 5th, the Grissom Road church of Christ is changing their meeting times and order of services. We will try this new format for six months, with some possible fine- tuning along the way, and then reevaluate. Please give a fair consideration to these changes.
Sunday morning service: 9:00am to 9:40am (Order of service: prayer, sermon, song and dismissal to Bible class)
Sunday morning bible class: 9:50am to 10:35am
Sunday morning service: 10:50am (Consisting of songs, prayers, communion, contribution, and sermon)
Clearly, by changing our meeting times we are not trying to reduce our service to God or limit our time together. The number of services on Sunday will remain the same. Neither does this change affect what we can do in God’s service on other days of the week. We are simply trying to open a bigger block of time to offer more opportunities on Sunday. Faithful Christians have already planned their Sunday (by biblical authority) to include worship. In my lifetime that usually meant a Sunday morning and evening worship. There is certainly nothing wrong with this schedule, in fact it has worked well for us, but that does not mean we are bound to the routine.
We are not making these changes because of some problem. The Grissom Road congregation is just like any faithful church; we have strong and weak members, we could all do a little better, and Satan is after all of us. We are not so naïve as to think this will fix every problem for every member. What was true before remains true in the new schedule. You get out of it what you put into it.
What do we hope to accomplish by these changes?
1) Open up a bigger block of time Sunday afternoon and evening for additional Bible studies at the building or in someone’s home.
2) Facilitate the continued growth and bond of our spiritual family by providing more opportunities for our member to associate together.
3) Exhort each member and family to take ownership of what they can do to encourage love among us.
4) Encourage regular group meetings.
5) Encourage our members to attend gospel meetings of faithful congregations in the San Antonio area.
Wednesday evening Bible study changes: 7:00pm to 7:15pm (Order of service: Announcements, song, sermon, song, prayer, and dismissal to class). Class time: 7:20pm to 8:00pm